When Whitney asked what I wanted for my birthday I said I wanted to go camping...for "real". (Up to this point in our marriage our idea of camping has been defined by running water, showers, and a semi comfortable bed...)Why I would would want to subject ourselves to pesky mosquitos, smelling like a camp fire, and sleeping on the ground...I don't know. Something about a weekend in the woods sounded appealing at the time.
We left most modern conveniences behind and headed for the hills on Friday afternoon. Just Whitney and I... on the road again! We arrived at Canyon Point (east of Payson) a little before dark. I knew it would be cold, but I wasn't quite prepared for how cold it was! Our first order of business was to put together the tent we borrowed. This, for me, was going to be the "real" test of the entire weekend... and our marriage (from what I hear:)) All things considered, it went surprisingly well. Whitney later admitted that he had practiced putting it up before we left to avoid any marital conflict. What a smart guy!
The weekend was full of fun...good food, hikes, games, gifts, naps and lots of laughs. From our experience Whitney and I have compiled a list of things we learned (often the hard way)
1. ALWAYS BRING AN EXTRA CAMPING CHAIR...just in case one blows into hot ashes and burns while you are taking a nap!
2. THE EASIEST WAY TO START A FIRE IS WITH FIRE STARTER BLOCKS...just ask Whitney. Although the boy scout thing works...the fire starter block works faster! In 20 degree weather time is of the essence.

3. YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE UP THE SEMI COMFORTABLE BED TO CAMP FOR "REAL"... Anyone who disagrees must be oblivous to the fact that the ground is hard! No matter what anyone else says...its still camping if you are sleeping on an air mattress.
On a side note...
4. WHO EVER SAID THAT 'TO GIVE IS TO RECEIVE' MUST HAVE UNDERSTOOD THE WAY WHITNEY THINKS... He is a great gift giver and this year was no exception. In addition to a video camera, he gave me a hydration pack (for hiking)...not 1...but 2!! AWESOME!...one for the front and the back!?! Not so! Whitney quickly informed me that he gave an extra one so that I could give one to a friend...wink wink. Well I bet you can guess how that went! I don't think he's realized what he's started...can't wait until his birthday...
2 comments:
That's hilarious! I actually giggled about the extra pack for a friend, and your comment about he doesn't know what he's started. haha!
What a sweet husband you have :)
Post a Comment